Inpatient Psychiatric Care For Adults
If you or your loved one is entering Walden’s Thoreau Center for Inpatient Psychiatric Care, you may have several questions regarding treatment. To alleviate some of these concerns, we have designed this page to help you understand the basic structure and requirements of our program. It will also allow you to become familiar with our treatment process including daily schedules, groups and members of the treatment team.
Walden’s Thoreau Center for Inpatient Psychiatric Care is a 24-bed, locked unit that treats males and females, 16 years of age and older, who require 24-hour nursing care and cannot be treated in a less intense setting. The Thoreau Center treats individuals with complex mental illness including depression, bipolar disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and dual-diagnosis addictive disorders. The center operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The average length of stay is eight days.
Psychiatric Treatment for Adults Encompasses:
- Psychiatric and psychological evaluations and treatment,
- 24-hour nursing care,
- Medical management,
- Case management,
- Group programming,
- Coordination of care with an outpatient team,
- Discharge planning.
Psychiatric Treatment Team for Adults Includes:
- Psychiatrists and nurse practitioners,
- Social workers,
- Expressive therapists,
- A substance abuse counselor,
- Mental health counselors.
Goals for Patients Receiving Adult Psychiatric Treatment Are:
- Re-establishing basic emotional and cognitive stability,
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive treatment plan, including medication management, therapy and nutrition,
- Designing an individual recovery plan that identifies specific goals, life changes and effective methods for achieving those goals.
At the Thoreau Center, we offer a wide range of evidence-based therapeutic groups. Some of these include cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy and expressive therapy groups — including mindfulness and art therapy — to achieve optimal health for the body and mind. Our staff is well-trained, compassionate and determined to guide you and your loved one along the path to recovery.